I think the reason people started making New Year’s resolutions is because by the end of the holiday season we are all so sick of feeling fat and sluggish and sentimental that once the last piece of tinsel has been wrapped to be stored and the last champagne glass is tucked away behind the everyday wine glasses everyone is so grateful to have it all over with that we mistake this feeling for motivation and we have an all-of-a-sudden new resolve to feel good about ourselves and jump into life head first.
I’m sure none of that is true, but that’s certainly how I feel.
I’ll defer to other people for guidance on making New Year’s Resolutions.
For my New Year’s Resolutions this year, I thought I’d pick things that actually sound appealing to me so that I might actually accomplish them. So here they are. Enjoy them. I know I will.
1) To enjoy myself more, whatever I am doing. Otherwise, what’s the point?
2) To dance more. I’ve been taking a dance class (more on this later) for the past few weeks and it makes me feel happy and strong and cool. Or as my little brother would say, Boss Swag. I’d like to feel hella Boss Swag in 2013.
3) To do more karaoke. I think you see where I’m going with this list.
4) To try something new every week—a new recipe, a new activity, a new genre of film, a new friend. I know that some people would try for everyday, but that seems a little nuts and pretty unrealistic to me. In fact after the holidays, I’m looking forward to a little more routine realism for a while.
5) To learn something new everyday. This one I can do. It’s called reading a newspaper.
Happy New Year Friends! May 2013 bring riches far beyond what you could have possibly imagined for yourself and may you enjoy those riches and share them with your loved ones for years to come.